Tuesday, September 15, 2009

15 Sept 2009: Exploring my Question (My Weakness?)

Ether 12:27
- My weakness may become strong
- My question may become strong?
- My passion may help weak things become strong
- If I become humble, I can become stronger at fulfilling my passion & making others strong
- My passion is my weakness and my strength; find harmony with my passion
- Brigham Young said that our challenge is to stand on the line (not fall short of it or go over it)

Hubble Ultra Deep Field

11 day exposure of black space (size of
11,000 galaxies in this photo
YouTube

Goals
* Find/Create Significant impact
*
Make recommendations for moving forward
* Validity of the study
(Avoid contamination of data)
* design is purposive constraint



Refining the Question

What (possibilities) are afforded by (localized open content, digitized and freely available) educational (tools, training (toolkits)) for (sustaining) (literacy) in (developing) (countries)?

What (possibilities) are afforded by (localized open content, digitized and freely available) educational (tools, training (toolkits)) for (sustaining) (literacy) in (developing) (countries)?

What is the impact (are the outcomes) of open educational resources for sustaining literacy in developing countries?

What are the (outcomes) of (open educational resources) for (sustaining) (literacy) in (rural) (areas)?

What is the impact of OER for increasing (access) to (quality) (localized) (content) in (rural) (Himalayan villages)?


Does access always lead to change?

- collect baseline of all involved centers - see what they are using for content now
- collect data after intervention (1 year or 5 years?) to see how their access changes
- control group
- intervention group
- how long of a period of affection by the intervention?
- what's my key variable for checking out
- What are my assumptions?


"resilient in the face of data" (proving what you want regardless of your findings)

Research says: "Properly designed" learning environments help people learn better.
* "properly designed" - leveraging the affordances of the environment appropriately

* Categorize the affordances of one approach.
* Which affordances are different with different variables?
* How can those differences be used to the learner's advantage?

What (impact) do (OER) have on (accessing), (localizing), and (sharing) (educational materials) in (rural) (developing) (areas)?

How does (OC4D) (improve) (access) to (localized) (educational) (content) in (developing) (countries)?

Q: Am I assuming that OC4D will be used??
Q: How long will I have to wait for OC4D to be deployed?
Q: Even after OC4D is deployed, how long will I have to wait to see impact?

Q: What is a user-friendly design of OC4D for increasing access to localized educational materials in developing countries?

Q: Impact of YMRC instead of OER?



MetaAnalysis:
US Dept of Ed (online ed is more effective than face-to-face) - key variable = time on task

* Beloit College: Mindset Test

2 comments:

  1. I think you've hit on some good assumptions to consider and challenge in this question. I've thought of the potential impact for OER on these regions, and wonder if assuming a positive impact will allow you to focus on other questions as you've done, e.g. "What is a user-friendly design of OC4D for increasing access to localized educational materials in developing countries?"

    You could also assess a broad range of variables that may need to be in place for OER to make _any_ impact, including: access to technology, accessible formats of OER, efficacy of OER design, cultural acceptance of OER, creating awareness of OER, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. T, I think the questions you're asking at the end about OC4D are on a productive path. Other ways of looking at the question would involve the unique aspect of OC4D that engages people as localizer - in other words, getting them actively involved in the process. It reminds me of Z's question "How do we give without impoverishing the receiver?" and makes me think one answer might be "Give them something to do." Think some more about the engagement aspect of OC4D (how people get involved in localizing and making it their own) and how that might differentiate it from other approaches...

    ReplyDelete